Oct 16, 2010

Bistrot Bruno Loubet

Bruno Loubet, a boy wonder of London cuisine in the nineties, has rather recently returned from his exile in Australia to give us Bistrot Bruno Loubet. This is a welcoming, unpretentious space, with a real warm and convivial bistrot feeling. No shenanigans.

The wine list is perhaps one of the best I have seen in London. The prices are far from exhorbitant, and at £26,00 pounds, my Costières de Nîmes felt like a designer bag at outlet prices. Strong and yet so beautifully round.

The bread was freshly cooked and warm, the olives perfect and juicy. Yes, I was famished and devoured everything in sight except perhaps my napkin until the food arrived.

Once again, I decided on the festival menu, and started off with a simple mozzarela salad, a creamy joy of a dish.


As a main, I opted for the wild rabbit fricasse with English penny bun barley. The rabbit was a bit dry, unfortunately. But the barley risotto and the seasoning were hearty and full of flavour.


My friend had the mackerel, in a spotless beurre blanc.


Desert was unfortunately a bit of a disappointment, a "brioche" like torte, with blackberry jam, which was marred by an overpowering citric flavour,like panettone with a vengeance.

But despite a few minor glitches, this is a great restaurant. The atmosphere is envelopping and lively, the food satistying, fresh and somewhat wholesome, as a Bistrot should be. I spied other tables having lovely little paninis, and pots of foie as well. Everything looked delicious and relaxed, and the prices are reasonable. Somewhere to come break bread with good friends, and linger on with yet another bottle of that great red.

Infos
Bistrot Bruno Loubet
88 Clerkenwell Rd.
+442073244455
http://www.thezetter.com/en/Restaurant

2 comments:

  1. I am a disaster in the kitchen!!!this post is very interest!my name's martina and I come from Italy...I would like you visit my blog and if you like it...follow me!!!I wait you and your tips!kiss kiss ;D

    http://glamourmarmalade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. fotos lindas!! ;) uma delícia esse restaurante!

    ReplyDelete